Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Similac Product Recall Notice Rec'd in Mail This Weekend

Saturday when I opened the mailbox I found a small bubble envelope with the words "Time Sensitive Material" stamped on the outside. The return address did not indicate from whom it came. It was addressed to me, but I didn't remember buying anything or requesting any samples.

Eagerly, I ripped open the envelope and found inside a single piece of 8.5"x11" paper printed on both sides.  I thought, "What a waste! All that packaging and postage for one little letter!"  Then I read the contents of the letter.  It was then that I realized why they wanted to get my attention in such a way.

The contents were written by Abbot Labs Senior Vice President, U.S. Nutrition, J. Schott White, the manufacturers of Similac formulas. As you may have seen on the news they have initiated a "proactive, voluntary recall of certain Similac(R)-brand powder, infant formulas." They are recalling the formula because beetle parts were found in the mix. They claim no immediate health danger is anticipated, but that the beetle parts could irritate the baby's GI tract.

Cookie Cookie and Bonboncito are both weaned and actually never (well, rarely ever) consumed formula. As this does not apply to me I almost threw the notice in the trash. BUT I know there are a lot of women out there who do feed their babies formula so I thought it best to share this important information before discarding the letter.

For more information about the recall or to verify if you have any of the powder from the lots included in the recall please visit www.similac.com/recall or call 1-888-376-2054 or 1-800-986-8850. They warned and apologized that because of the recall there may be high traffic and high call volume delaying your ability to get the needed information.

Products NOT involved in the recall:
  • ALL Abbott Nutrition liquid ready-to-feed and concentrated infant formulas
  • ALL Powder specialty formulas-
    • Similac Expert Care Alimentum
    • EleCare
    • Similac Expert Care NeoSure
    • Similac Human Milk Fortifier
    • Metabolic formulas for inherited disorders
The eight character lot numbers are located on the bottom of the powdered formula packages.

As always, if you have any health concerns about your baby please contact your baby's physician.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for deciding to leave a comment. Remember this is a family friendly blog so keep your shared thought PG. If you haven't already, please, follow me on Google Friend Connect or Reader, Facebook and Twitter. Have a great day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...