For all the safety measures that we follow to protect our kids in the car having patience while driving is probably the most important. Patience with your kids babbling, fighting, arguing, playing, singing and so on so you don't get distracted. My girls are wonderful little travelers so issues like these are sporadic at best. So I have to pay attention to my own attitude and other drivers. Like we were taught in drivers training -
- Try to keep the music down
- Make a full stop at every stop sign
- Turn your turn signals on within a reasonable distance from your turn to alert other drivers
- Be aware of other drivers
- Use your mirrors
- Drive the speed - and adjust it for the weather conditions (just because the speed is 55 doesn't mean it's safe to go that fast no matter what the weather/road conditions)
- Never, never, ever drive around the lowered arms of a railroad crossing - it could cost you your life.
Read how one young mother took that chance and how it will result in a life sentence of grief for her and her family.
Kids Killed As Mom Tries To Go Through Train Crossing | wltx.com